For more information, contact Sally Imgrund, our Advertising Director, who has over 28 years experience in working with management-intensive grassland products and services. Give her a call today. Sally can be reached by:
Email: [email protected]
Advertising Submittal Guidelines
Option 1: Submit a print-quality, camera ready PDF (recommended)
We accept PDFs generated from these programs designed for professional printing: Indesign, Quark XPress or Photoshop.
For best printing results, our printer has provided some recommendations:
- Place high resolution Grayscale or CMYK images. (300 dpi at actual size; higher dpi needed if artwork will need to be enlarged)
- Keep black type on the black plate (avoid use of "rich blacks" or black type made from 4-colors)
- With reverse print (white type on dark background) or when placing type over a photo background, avoid the very thin typefaces. Choose a bolder, thicker typeface, made up of no more than 2 colors and sized at 14 pts. or larger.
- Generate PDF using the Press-Optimized setting. (highest quality)
- When generating the PDF make sure to embed all fonts.
- Do not submit an ad with crop marks.
- The document size should be the actual ad size. (Do not submit a letter size document with a smaller ad on it.)
- Photos should be saved in CMYK format. If an ad contains an RGB photo, RGB has to be converted to CMYK to print. When it converts, it often becomes dull in color.
- Do not submit ads with spot color. Spot colors also have to be converted to CMYK to print. During this conversion, we have seen images/text in the area disappear. Build all color in CMYK.
- We recommend maximum TAC (combined percentage of all 4 colors) to be 240%.
Bleed Instructions: The trim size is 10 1/2 wide x 12 tall. The best way to build the ad is to set up the document 11 wide x 12 1/2 tall and have the background colors go all the way to the edge of this document. You can bring in non-printing guides to 1/4 inch all around to view what will be the trim size 10 1/2 wide x 12 tall. Avoid type or printable areas 3/4 inch in from the edge of the document to be safe. (Another set of non-printable guides would be handy to see all of this.)
Do not put crop marks in your ad. The non-printable guides, pulled from the ruler for reference are fine.
NO CHANGES CAN BE MADE TO A PDF. (it is a Print Only Format) Deadline permitting, make changes on your end and resend. We may be able to give an extension if we know the corrected PDF is in route. If that is not possible choose
Option 2 or Option 3.
Note: Small last-minute changes can be achieved by opening the PDF in Photoshop and "doctoring" the file. We may need to slightly alter the file and do our best to match typefaces, but if we can do this there will be a $50 charge The final result will be slightly less quality than the original PDF and you will need to approve the changes.
Option 2: Submit ad materials for our designer to create the ad. ($50 per layout) You can re-run the same layout in future issues and make minor wording or photo changes at No Charge for the changes.
- Provide detailed layout instruction in an email. Attach high resolution logo, photos, etc.
- Avoid pulling artwork from the internet, as it will be low resolution (usually 72 dpi) and will not print well.
- Set cameras to highest resolution when taking photos for ads.
Option 3: Submit non-print quality PDF (not recommended)
If you send a non-print quality PDF, we cannot guarantee a quality result. Instead, we rommend that you send such a PDF as a "go-by" only, along with all supporting high resolution graphics (as described in Option 1) and our designer will reset your ad, exactly following your "go-by", for a $50 charge.